Recreational soccer is offered in the fall and spring for youth Pre-school through 2nd grade and is sponsored by the Grand Forks Park District.
Ages: Pre-school through 2nd grade
(Pre-schoolers must be 4 years old by April 6, 2015.)
- Teams: Pre-school and Kindergarten teams will be co-ed. All other teams are either boys or girls. Teams are formed on a basis according to grade, school, or number of registered players.
- 3RD – 6TH GRADE SOCCER will now be run by the Greater Grand Forks Soccer Club. Visit the GGFSC website for more information at http://www.ggfsc.com/Default.aspx?tabid=824349
Sunflake Soccer Spring Season
No cancellations at this time
- Please read this: 2015 Registration Info Sheet
- Start Registration: Feb 24, 2015
Activity Codes for online registration
123123-00 – Pre-School
123123-01 – Kindergarten
123123-12 - First Grade
123123-21 – Second Grade
- End Registration: March 25, 2015.
- REGISTRATIONS RECEIVED AFTER THIS DATE WILL BE PLACED ON A WAITING LIST AND NOT GUARANTEED PLACEMENT IN THE PROGRAM.
All practices and games dates are weather permitting
- First Practice: April 6th or April 7th (depending on age group)
- First Games: April 18, 2015 (all age groups)
- Last Saturday Games: May 16,2015
End of Sunflake Spring Soccer: May 16, 2015
Schedules – (Game & Practice) All Practices start at 6:00pm
Volunteer Coaches – I volunteered, now what?
Many first time coaches volunteer or are volunteered to the job. First things first…Relax. Relax and think about how much fun you are going to have.
Goal: Create a fun, learning soccer environment for your players in training and in games.
How? Talk to the Program Director and request helpful coaching materials and coaching aids.Talk to other Soccer Coaches in the program or in your community who have worked with these age groups before.
Prepare a list of simple and clear rules for your players and their parents. Introduce yourself to the team. Conduct a preseason meeting to review these rules and to go over other important information.
Consider the following:
- Schedules and locations for training sessions and games.
- Drop off and pick up times for training sessions and games.
- Player responsibilities and behavior at training sessions and games.
- Parent responsibilities and behavior at training sessions and games.
- Player equipment (Everyone should bring a ball & have shin guards)
- Coaching equipment
- Discuss the procedure for canceling training sessions and games.
It’s about player development, not winning and losing!
- Provide proper age appropriate activities at training sessions and games.
- Assure that training and playing areas are safe.
- Make sure that all players are wearing the correct equipment and that it is appropriately sized.
- Make sure that you are assisted by another adult when coaching the players (This includes the time when players arrive and when they depart from training sessions and games).